status reports

From: Hedley Rainnie <hedley_at_8x8.com>
Date: Tue May 06 1997 - 18:25:40 EDT

Here are some projects that interest me. They are organized by priority.

1) Quantum. I borrowed the STonX emulator that is a gcc based 68k emulator.
(I say gcc since it really needs it, lots of void *p=&&label; goto *p; flavor
of code). This allowed my linux compiled version to at least display
the Quantum spash screen. Something then goes wrong. I am not certain AVG
interpretation is correct. Diags don't come up. STonX's emulator is of
fairly good quality so it is less likely to be a bug in that and more
likely an interface issue.

2) Gravitar et al: Code study of the binary, reducing the code to basic
blocks in preparation for binary translation to x86 assembly. Gravitars
flow graph keeps xvcg busy for 5 minutes on my pentium pro. Code study
needs to be finished. Ideally the blocks are register and flag accurate
at the boundaries, later interblock optimization can be investigated.
I want to do this for the 68k also ultimately. Readers of 2) may ask
why? answer: why not! binary translation is a fascinating subject
and is ideally explored in such a fine closed system as a video game.

3) Audio: I am interested in simulation of analog audio boards to collect
samples from them. This is a low noise path to collecting good quality
samples. A board like a Star Castle has many transistors and caps
controlling the various sounds (and a 555...) a spice simulation of the
board would slowly yield each sound which would get sampled and then
played back at real time for sound during emulation.

Hedley

hedley@8x8.com | 8x8, Inc
hedley@netcom.com | Santa Clara, CA. (408) 654-0883