RE: Zektor for the masses

From: Ozdemir, Steve <sso_at_dsc.com>
Date: Thu May 22 1997 - 17:45:14 EDT

G'day folks,

Actually, some work I saw back at Stanford might pertain to this idea of
phone lines and real time game play. As Zonn points out, the vector
environment is actually quite conducive to compressed information
exchange. Everything, the four players, death bagel, death bagel spawn
and up to five bullets, can be described as position and direction that
the object is pointing (except for player bullets which are too small to
have direction). Less than a dozen pieces of information to convey
every 40th of a second. Across a 28.8 modem, that'd give you
(28800/(40*8))=90 bytes of data to pack all dozen objects from a frame
of the gameplay. As to scoring information being updated, well, as I
said before who looks at score when playing Eliminator (besides we took
all the scoring information out so that we could add 4 more players and
serial modem functionality, right?)!

By the way, from a perception perspective once delays get beyond a
quarter second, then the players start complaining. Sorta like phone
echo.

Again, so there's a technical part of this email, would a Sega monitor
be able to handle all the extra vectors for 4 extra players?

                Steven S Ozdemir
                sso@dsc.com