Re: New vector monitor design.

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Fri May 23 1997 - 19:54:17 EDT

I'll go ahead and toss this out again since I think it was only Joel and I
talking about it *long* ago.

I have an old B/W 12" monitor that came out of a bootleg Asteroids
Cocktail. The interesting thing about it is that there are *very* few
parts on the board. What the designers did, was use a pair of those
STK0080 (I think that's it, it might have been the STK0050) audio amps for
the deflection drive. (Think about 2"x3" hybrid package thing, they're in
NTE/ECG/etc if you want to look them up.)

The STK0080 are these big SIP package integrated audio amps like you'd find
in a Fisher or low-end Sony consumer Receiver/Amp. Built in heat sink,
etc. Put a (small) input voltage in one side, get bigger voltage and lots
of current on the other side. Really easy to use. It makes a lot of sense
actually-- you've got high current, reasonably fast transient response,
overcurrent protection, over temp protection, etc.

They run off of a + and - 30V supply. I keep meaning to trace through the
board and figure out the exact schematic, but I have all these other
projects...

Anyway, Joel and I were thinking that this type of drive system along with
a stand-alone HV supply based on some super-common/cheap HVT would be
pretty cool. Neither of us wanted to/knew how to do the yoke design
though...

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com