Re: New vector monitor design.

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue May 27 1997 - 09:57:44 EDT

On May 23, 4:39pm, Zonn wrote:
> Subject: Re: New vector monitor design.
> At 03:54 PM 5/23/97 -0800, you wrote:
> >I'll go ahead and toss this out again since I think it was only Joel and I
> >talking about it *long* ago.
> >
> >I have an old B/W 12" monitor that came out of a bootleg Asteroids
> >Cocktail. The interesting thing about it is that there are *very* few
> >parts on the board. What the designers did, was use a pair of those
> >STK0080 (I think that's it, it might have been the STK0050) audio amps for
> >the deflection drive. (Think about 2"x3" hybrid package thing, they're in
> >NTE/ECG/etc if you want to look them up.)
> >
> >The STK0080 are these big SIP package integrated audio amps like you'd find
> >in a Fisher or low-end Sony consumer Receiver/Amp. Built in heat sink,
> >etc. Put a (small) input voltage in one side, get bigger voltage and lots
> >of current on the other side. Really easy to use. It makes a lot of sense
> >actually-- you've got high current, reasonably fast transient response,
> >overcurrent protection, over temp protection, etc.
> >
> >They run off of a + and - 30V supply. I keep meaning to trace through the
> >board and figure out the exact schematic, but I have all these other
> >projects...
> >
> >Anyway, Joel and I were thinking that this type of drive system along with
> >a stand-alone HV supply based on some super-common/cheap HVT would be
> >pretty cool. Neither of us wanted to/knew how to do the yoke design
> >though...
>
> Didn't the Vectrex also use Audio Amp modules to drive the yoke?
>
> The only requirement on the module (beside current/voltage ratings), would
> be that's it's feedback input be available on a external pin so that you can
> run it in a current feedback mode instead of the standard voltage feedback
> mode used to drive loud speakers.

I know this is a little off topic, but apparently Rick Schieve once talked to a
guy who worked at a planetarium which had a laser projection system, and the
guy was interested in setting up Star Trek and playing it inside the
planetarium. A 5 foot Klingon would look pretty cool! And hook up an audio
system, and you've got the best vector game platform you can find! :-)

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL