Re: New vector monitor design.

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Wed May 28 1997 - 12:31:37 EDT

Zonn wrote:

> Good point!
>
> If the yoke is part of the Flyback design (and yes it is, the term "Flyback"
> refers to the trace being deflected past the zero point by sending the trace
> off in one direction and then letting it "Flyback" to the extreme negative
> position. It's a tuned circuit similar to a type "C" type amplifier, if you
> look in an amplifier theory book.)
>
> And I believe Al is right in that as long as this regulated tuned circuit
> exists, it's easy (for the flyback manufactor) to add an extra windings in
> the flyback transformer to create the High Voltage!
>
> That sure is a snag in the HV generation!
>
> That means either I find a TV that will allow the use of a standard X/Y yoke
> (and let the raster yoke dangle) or I have to come up with a way of
> generating HV on my own. I would think one way of doing it would be to
> drive the TV's flyback's primary with a standard 15khz oscillator of my own,
> using the anode voltage generated as the feedback used to regulate the HV,
> much like WG monitors do.
>
> Damn, this conversion is getting really complicated!

Why not just use a similar design as the WG 6100 for the HV? Sure they
break sometimes, but not anything like the Amplifones. You could even
just leave the HV section alone and make a replacement WG deflection
circuit.
I really havent' ever had trouble with the HV units in Wells Gardners
unless one of the supples were low/high or the caps had been neglected
for years. Too bad we don't have one of those Bootleg monitors to play
with, I remember seeing them and they were extremely simple and I never
fixed one so ...... they must have worked decently.
   Jess

--
Unofficial Atari Game Page:http://magenta.com/havoc
Lots of other General Arcade Game info at