Re: G80 speech board

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Jun 11 1997 - 11:46:44 EDT

On May 5, 6:11pm, Ed Henciak wrote:
> Subject: Re: G80 speech board
> Hello,
>
> I was just going over Clay's message about speech boards. I have 2 Star
> Trek sets...each, I believe, different in the socket where the 'Orator, is
> located...
>
> On board labeled 800-3308 A, there is a chip in the 'Orator' socket
> with the number 783-4043-002. The logo on the chip looks like this...
>
> -----------
> | |
> | |
> | ---- |
> | | |
> | | |
> -----------
>
> next to this 'GI...and it is that rectangular, unlike the orator's "curvy"
> GI... is the number 8048 CCA and TAIWAN.

I found a few of these on some of my Speech boards. It seems to be the less
common of the two.

> On my other board, which has a handwritten 800-3308 REV D, the chip
> clearly says SPO250 ORATOR.
>
> and the logo is clearly a GI with the numbers 8136 CCA TAIWAN
>
> I'd love to let you guys know if there is any difference in sounds, etc.,

I haven't found any sound differences whatsoever. Maybe Al should put a search
out for the other chip, also.

> but I am having one hell of a time getting my monitor to work, and there
> is much static in the audio (my boards are working though). If I can wire
> up some mock coin mechanisms, I'll let you know how sounds compare. My
> monitor currently is displayin a bright dot in the center with some nice,
> small, blue squigglies!! Anyway, if it would help to donate the
> board/chip to a Sega Multigame cause, let me know...just return it when
> finished!!! Oh, the number of EEPROMS are the same on Star Trek's
> speech...3. And one more thing I just noticed...on the board I have
> without the ORATOR, there is a national semiconductor 8039 (exact numbers
> are 014C INS8039N-6 /P8039-6)...on the board with the ORATOR there is
> an Intel P8035HL L2468201. Hope this helps!!! Thanks

I don't know if the 8035 or 8039 matters. I've been using the 8035s
exclusively to repair these boards. The 8039 has been found on boards with the
ORATOR, so I don't think there is a difference (I think we may have already
covered this...)

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL