Re: SP0250

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 18:23:00 EDT

At 03:07 PM 6/12/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>Damn! And Clay and his friend Larry just had me convinced it was a "Formant
>>Synthesis". Like I'd know the difference!
>
>Hey now, I was just relaying what Larry said... I said I thought it was an
>LPC part... ;-)

Your right, you did! I wasn't blaming anyone for anything, I was just
making a point that now I'm more confused by the different types of voice
synthesis than I've ever been. (Before I just didn't know, now I'm confused)

>From Larry's letter, and what my co-worker was saying about what he'd worked
with in the past (he's also far from an expert, but worked with some in the
past), it sounded like whatever "Formant Synth" is supposed to be. I had
always thought of "Formant Synthesis" as a form of Phoneme synthesis, but
there's obviously differences between the two or Larry wouldn't have used
them as two distinct things in one paragraph.

I do know what CVSD is, having written a few different implementations of
it. Not that that makes a damn bit of difference here. Might help in
recording new voices for Sinistar though...

>>The data sheet did say it used 12 filter coeffecients, which sounded like LPC.
>>
>>I believe there was a little information on how the data was fed to the
>>SP0250, which lines to place the data on, and which one to strobe kinda
>>thing. But there was no information on what the data being sent to the
>>SP0250 represented.
>
>Right. This sounds like the 1981 GI Databook page. It's kinda
>detail-free. I'll try to bring it tomorrow and scan and post it...

That's the book!

-Zonn