little SP0256 blurb

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Thu Jun 12 1997 - 18:36:05 EDT

here is a short blurb about the 256 from

http://www.makingit.com/bluesky/tech/voice_tech.html#synthtag

SPEECH SYNTHESIZER
The speech synthesizer is the General Instruments SP-0256 Orator. The SP-0256 incorporates four
basic functions:

       A software programmable digital filter that can be made to model a VOCAL TRACT.

       A 16K ROM which stores both speech data (Resident ROM or RESROM) and instructions
       (the PROGRAM).

       A MICROCONTROLLER which controls the data flow from the ROM to the digital filter,
       the assembly of the "word strings" necessary for linking speech elements together, and the
       amplitude and pitch information to excite the digital filter.

       A PULSE WIDTH MODULATOR that creates a digital output which is converted to an
       analog signal when filtered by an external low pass filter.

The SP-0256 can also accept serial speech data from an external source.

For the 3330, the RESROM contains a variety of words and phrases that may be useful in video
games. The PROGRAM consists of 17 different parameters used by the VOCAL TRACT model to
imitate human speech patterns.

..this was for the Intellivison. Thinking about it, I think the chip designer confused
"Milton Bradley" with "Mattel" when I just talked to him...