Re: cine sound board

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Jun 23 1997 - 17:42:00 EDT

At 04:40 PM 6/23/97 -0600, you wrote:
>> According to a guy that used to work at Cinematronics, they did something
>> slightly different in Space Wars, they bought a bunch of surplus "leaky"
>> transistors and used the "leakiness" to generate the white noise.
>
>I was talking with a cinematronics employee who told me that they had tried
>to replicate the space wars explosion and couldn't even though they had
>the exact same circuit. Finally someone looked at a space wars sound
>board and discovered that one transistor was put in backwards intentionally
>to get that fine "quality". Not sure if this is legend and since I don't
>have a space wars sound board to check, well, I'll leave it up to someone
>more motivated than I.. :)

Cool, I might actually have to trace it out (when I have some free time,
hopefully before the start of the new milenium.) The guy I talked to didn't
start work until after Space Wars, in fact it was after the
Cinematronics/Vectorbeam re-merger, so his description of the past could
also be Cinematronics legend.

-Zonn