Re: Stumped by my WG 6101

From: Anders Knudsen <andersk_at_btc.adaptec.com>
Date: Mon Jun 30 1997 - 00:05:23 EDT

On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Zonn wrote:

> Anyways it looks like you did a nicer job on the PC (no lights on ours!).

Yea. LEDs are cool. Plus they give you a "warm fuzzy" to let you know that
"something" is working!

> Our kit was nice in that you simply cut all the parts out of the old LV
> section, you then plugged our board into where the Pass transistors plugged

Yea. On mine, you just cut out all the LV parts except the primary filter
caps (C100, C101) and "bridge" rectifier diodes (D100-D103). Then the PCB
just solders in to the holes at the collectors of Q100 and Q101 (which are
gone!), and the output of the regulated voltage gets wired to the holes on
the PCB that go to the bases of Q102 and Q103. Works, and looks real nice.
Still want to "re-do" the whoe P314 PCB though!

> I completely agree on the redesign. The nicest redesign would be to replace
> the yoke drivers with power Mos-FETs, since the thing that kills those pass
> transistor most often are voltage spikes, and you can get Mos-FETs that'll
> pass 10-15 amps with breakdown voltages of 500volts! The second nicest
> would be to simply double up the bi-polars using emitter resistors to
> prevent thermal runaway.

Another thought I had was to perhaps use IGBTs. They give the best of both
transistor worlds! Speed of a BJT and power handling of a FET !!!

-Anders.