Re: Crystal's new chip

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Jul 07 1997 - 19:26:00 EDT

At 05:28 PM 7/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>> The one with the built in ROM is the one my friend has already laid out a PC
>> board for, it was while asking questions on that one that he found out about
>> the release of the new one.
>>

> This DOES sound like the perfect chip for this kind of thing (Now that I
>understand what pitch bend is...) It actually changes my project plan
>drastically, since you've convinced me that this is the way to go. Gotta love
>those Crystal chips!

They sure impress the hell out of me! And better yet they are so open with
the documentation. It's like they *want* you to use their chips! Very
strange.
Ever try to get information on programming the SoundBlaster DSP (not the
mixer but their "proprietary" CSP chip)?

I hope Crystal kicks their ass with the new synth-on-a-chip!

> There still is little bit of a practicality "problem" now, in that I
>need original sound boards to make the samples. Or, more likely, people need
>to volunteer to sample the sounds of the game that they have.

I have the following (each in their original cabinets :^)

  Armor Attack
  Boxing Bugs
  Rip Off
  Solar Quest
  Space War
  Speed Freak
  Star Castle
  Star Hawk
  Sundance (on the way, or so I'm constantly assured by Gaymond ;^)
  Tail Gunner
  War of the Worlds

I'd be more than happy to sample these sounds -- I've been wanting to write
test code to play each sound individually anyhow, this'll give me a reason
to do it. :^)

I think many of the sounds will actually sound better if they are created
under software by simulating the hardware circuits. Especially easy would
be the square wave stuff.

-Zonn