Re: Crystal's new chip

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Tue Jul 08 1997 - 12:34:00 EDT

At 09:18 AM 7/8/97 -0800, you wrote:
>>At 03:25 PM 7/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
>
>>I'm pretty sure it's more. There is no 8 bit values in Midi since the high
>>bit determines Command or Note data. So it's either 7 bits, or it's an
>>extended (two byte) value. I think it's the latter. I'll find out tonight,
>>my friend Dave's the expert.
>
>What was the answer here? I got home a little late last night (Geez, get
>married and everyone wants to hang around in the restaurant for hours...
>I've got stuff to work on... ;-)

Bit of a hopeless romantic eh? ;^) (I'm afraid to ask *what* stuff!)

>, so I didn't look for my "Programmers
>Guide to MIDI" book. I suppose I could look in my old drum-machine source
>code...

We looked it up last night. The range of the pitch bend is a whopping +/-
8092. It's effect can be set from 0 to 24 semitones. So if the range is set
to 1 semitone, then you have 8092 steps between a single semitone. 1/8092
of a semitone, I'm sure, is all the resolution a sound card will need.

>><snip>
>>>
>>>Off topic, but worth mentioning--- For what it's worth, I'm only a
>>>batchellor for another 70 minutes... (Yes, Tara and I are finally getting
>>>married. It was one of these spur of the moment decisions that only took a
>>>couple years to reach... ;-)
>>
>>Alright!! Congradulations!!!!
>>
>>So seventy minutes before you say "I do" you're logged on reading the
>>VectorList email?
>>
>>Just a little nervous maybe?? ;^)
>
>Just worried what a gold ring will do inside a running monitor... ;-)

Yeah, be careful working on cars! My dad did that for a living and had
friends with their ring permenantly tattoed to their ring finger. There's a
lot of current in those, 100 cranking amp, batteries!

>>Going anywhere for a honeymoon?
>
>Probably a nice Inn on the Oregon coast. We're going to wait until it's a
>little farther into "summer" up here. Try for some good weather.

Sounds perfect. Check out Crater Lake on the way up, it's gorgeous. They
claim it's some of the clearest water in the world.

Once again congradulations!!!

-Zonn