AVG chip replacement

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu Jul 10 1997 - 20:34:51 EDT

Hi everyone.

Thanks to an anonymous "little-birdie" that landed on my shoulder I found
myself with enough information to create a TTL equivalent of the Atari
"AVG" chip as used in Star Wars, Space Duel, Quantum, etc... (It's the
"VRAM Addresser" chip that runs the stack and program counter and some
other stuff...)

The only gotcha is that there are a lot of chips in the design, and thus a
lot of PCB real-estate, and thus a higher cost per board. :-(

Anyway, I entered everything in OrCAD Capture and output netlists to OrCAD
Layout Plus and after hand placing the components, I turned the autorouter
loose and (long story short) I can now produce "daughtercard" replacements
for about $25 a pop as a "bag of parts". (PCB, chips, headers, caps, and
resistors)

The question at hand is-- is it worth it for that? I'll need to do about
30 boards at once to make the $25 price point...

So, how many of you on this list would be interested in a $25 replacement
Atari AVG "chip"? If you are interested, how many would you commit to
buying at $25 each if you have to assemble them? (Shipping not included)

If I get a commitment for at least 30 I can/will do a run of boards.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/