Re: Paul was right

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 13:58:46 EDT

> Omega Races uses a Grey Code encoding.

To generate Grey Code by hand, do the following:

1) Start with all 0's
2) Toggle bit of least significance that results in a bit pattern
   you have not seen yet.
3) Repeat step 2 until all combinations are generated

The advantage here is that only 1 bit changes from one "number" to the
next. If they used Binary on the encoder, it's possible that when
going from say 000111 to 001000 not all of the 4 bits would change at
the same time. If you check the position just as that happens, you don't
read 7 or 8, but something completely out of sequence. I don't recall
if they covered this in any of my courses at OU.

Just thought you might be interested in a little more info.

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.