Re: Paul was right

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 15:30:28 EDT

You wrote:
> If someone ever did a new rotary encoder board for the Sega games,
> you could probably scrunch the D flop,counter, buffer down to one
> 22v10 as well..
>
> (and have an input for setting the number of pulses per revolution..)

Or just do it with a PIC ;-)

Seriously, this is a side project that has been way down on my list for a
*long* time. Basically, take a standard Atari/Wico style encoder output wave
form, and have a processor that does nifty things like:

Output Omega Race encoded position data
Rotate the outputs 45 degrees for Marble Madness and Reactor
Deal with the Sega vector stuff
Tune pulses per revolution for things like Tempest 2k on the Jaguar
Spoof "mouse" output for the Playstation (most of the classic compelations
support the mouse for trackball input)

If you're really adventurous, get a DAC on the PCB to spoof analog positioning
stuff (would really simplify building control panels for all the different
steering assemblies out there)

Anyway, there is a reason this is way low on the project list ;-)

Ray