Re: Paul was right

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu Jul 24 1997 - 21:15:09 EDT

>Actually the 8051 is a nice instruction set. What about all that other
>glue? Why not do all your outputs in software? I'm sure you can run the
>2051 fast enough to keep up with any player, not enough outputs?

Hmmmm. Actually I hadn't thought about it a lot yet. In retrospect, I
suppose there's enough I/O that I could use a bit or two for "mode select".
I was thinking of just having everything work simultaneously, but I guess
that isn't necessary. Close a jumper and it's a G-80 spinner, open and
it's a Midway spinner... That'd be kinda cool.

The 2051 is neat-- glue wise there isn't much needed. You need a clock
source, just a cheap Oscillator or Crystal is OK, you could probably even
get away with a little RC setup since speed variation isn't a big deal as
long as it's fast enough all the time. Since the Flash (program) is
onboard there's no need for an external latch to demux address and data
like a "real" 8051. One thing I don't recall is how it deals with the data
and program spaces-- maybe they're OR'd together on the Flash. Guess I
should look that up before I get too excited about tables... ;-)

It might be a one-chip project actually... Have to look at it some more.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/