Re: which encoder wheel?

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Tue Aug 05 1997 - 16:53:19 EDT

You wrote:
> A lot of Atari stuff seems to use a 64 position encoder assembly. Sega
> stuff looks clost to that amount as well. Kick was something really
> coarse-- maybe 16 or 32 teeth? I don't know about the Atari whirly-gig's
> (like Blasteroids) I think they're close to the spinner on Tempest. Major
> Havoc I'm not sure about for the "real" controller-- I have a (the?)
> prototype Major Havoc roller controller that I can count out I suppose.

Blasteroids is the same as Tempest. The "feel" seems to be about the same as
the Atari trakballs, although they translate differently (different motions).
For the vast bulk of the planet, the "original" MH interface is a Tempest
encoder (MANY more conversions that dedicated units out there...I know I've
never seen a dedicated MH)

> IMHO, the Tempest spinner is the best of the lot...

I agree 100%. They are also the easiest to find (important if you want wide impact)

Of course, I'm going after the best of all worlds. I am building control
panel modules with controls from the original Discs of Tron and Omega Race
control panels, and have plenty of Tempest wheels for other games (Arkanoid,
etc.)

Ray