Re: G-05 monitors

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Aug 07 1997 - 13:08:00 EDT

At 10:59 AM 8/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>> My question is this:
>> Is there a trouble shooting guide for this monitor anywhere?
>
>Someone posted this to RGVAC once, but I don't remember who. I tried a
>few months back to find-out who wrote it, but no one admitted to it. I
>suppose they were afraid I'd be asking them about my Space War... :-)

Wasn't me!

<snip of some nice trouble shooting information>

>If you get no picture at all, you should disconnect both of the 6-pin
>Molex connectors that lead to the heat sinks on the side of the monitor
>to check if this generates a picture. Without these final output stage
>amplifiers, the picture will be small (about 2 inches square) but easily
>visible and in proportion to the way it should look.
>
>A lot of testing will require you to remove these connectors. Please
>note that running your game this way without the final stage amplifiers
>is very rough on your monitor so you should run with them disconnected
>for as short a time as possible. I mention this mainly because you will
>probably see a gigantic sticker on your heat sink that screams,
>"_WARNING_ DO NOT OPERATE WITH POWER TRANSISTOR MODULE UNPLUGGED" and
>the schematic in the manual says, "-CAUTION- DO NOT APPLY POWER TO
>DISPLAY ELECTRONICS UNLESS POWER TRANSISTORS ARE CONNECTED. FAILURE TO
>DO SO WILL RESULT IN PERMANENT DAMAGE TO DRIVE ELECTRONICS". I have
>never damaged my monitor by ignoring this warning (and I ignore it a
>lot) but do not run the game like this longer than a few minutes at a
>time without freeze spraying R<fixme> and R<fixme> every few minutes.

This really is a *bad* thing to do. By disconnecting the output transistors
the entire yoke is being driven through the small pre-drivers through a
couple of 47 ohm resistors. On old models these were 1/4 watt resistor and
would probably burn up at this point. In newer models they were replaced
with 1/2 watts which gives the transistor a running chance at being the
first thing to burn up.

<snip>

>Re-posted without permission, as I still don't know who wrote it. I
>figured it was Zonn...

Like I have that kind of time!!!! Nope, it wasn't me, it was probably
written before I even started to collect games, just a little over a year ago.

Nice article though (with the above exception excluded).

-Zonn