Re: HP panel-mount encoders

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 13:37:00 EDT

At 03:15 PM 8/13/97 -0700, you wrote:

>I ran into the guy that I bought the little HP encoders from last year
>at the montly flea market, and he still has about 30 of them for $5 ea
>if anyone is interested. They are the same size as a panel-mount pot
>and produce 256 pulses/rev. They have two quadrature leads, +5, and gnd.
>I'll see if I can find them in an HP opto catalog.

FYI: I tore into my Cosmic Chasm last night and the part number of the
optical encoder was "something, something - 256 - 5". My guess is that
indicates the encoder is 256 pulses per revolution. It was made by some
local (to San Diego) company call DISC or something. I could imagine the HP
controllers being nicer.
I seem to recall that Boxing Bugs uses the same encoder, but it was a little
harder to tear into so I didn't do it last night. I've had the Boxing Bugs
encoder apart and my guess at the time was 256 pulses per rev.

-Zonn