Re: PIC on speed...

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Thu Aug 14 1997 - 18:15:00 EDT

At 02:35 PM 8/14/97 -0800, you wrote:
>I dunno if anyone other than Zonn will like this, but since some of us are
>using PIC's for various projects...
>
>Check out www.parallaxinc.com and look at the "SX Key" announcements.
>
>It's a 16C54 (PIC) compatible chip, with 10 new instructions, Flash memory
>with *in-circuit* programmability, source/sink 30mA per pin, analog
>comparator, 2K words Flash, 136 words RAM, internal oscillator at 4MHz,
>External *50MHz* clock optional w/ 1 cycle per instruction, 12mA @ 50MHz at
>5V. Development system with full-speed ICE is $249.

Very cool!

It turns out the place I'm currently working also has an in house ASIC
designed PIC clone that runs faster, leaps higher, normally desguised as
Clark Kent...but is opcode equivalent to the PIC, with extra opcodes added
as needed. The PIC is basically a bit sliced processor that must be pretty
easy to duplicate.

(Ours is not nearly as nice as the one Clay mentions!)

So I imagine the ICE could be used to debug standard PIC chips? Very cool.
Is Microchip about to discontinue the 16x5x series? Or was that some wild
rumor a friend of mine heard...

>I think I'm in love.

Take a cold shower Clay! You're making me nervous! ;^)

-Zonn