Re: Bizarre Tailgunner (2) Experience

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu Aug 21 1997 - 20:18:10 EDT

>Yeah considering it has no stack! and only 256 words of memory!
>
>I'm currently using a 6805 "C" compiler (another processor without a
>*usable* stack), you have to run through many loops to write a "C" compiler
>without stacks to pass arguments -- and recursion??? HA!

Oh, I agree. That's what makes it fun, no? :-) There are some pretty
decent PIC 'C' compilers and a lot of those don't have much in the line of
a hardware stack. Recursion is definately out, and most variables are
assumed to be static...

>More like Quantum. It uses a 68k processor, a discreet VG, and a Z-80 with
>a few of those GI sound chips for sound. It runs 4096 colors driven in a
>way similar to that of the Cine->WG board (though not the same schematic
> from what I can tell).

How funny. That's almost exactly like my RetroVector design, except the
68K ran the VG (compensated overhead for by having a 16MHz CPU) and used
POKEY's for sound. (Your favorite sound generator, as I recall Zonn... ;-)

>The PCB was laid out for a trackball, but only populated for the single axis
>optical encoder. There are a few other bare spots on the board that were
>there for future dreams...

Neato. Maybe I'll find one to play with someday.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/