Re: yoke resonant frequency

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 13:31:56 EDT

On Sep 3, 12:22pm, John Lee wrote:
> Subject: Re: yoke resonant frequency
> Mark Jenison wrote:
> >
> > On Sep 3, 8:39am, Clay Cowgill wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: yoke resonant frequency
> >
> > Someone please help me understand what's standing in our way so we can
identify
> > them, document them, and resolve them.
> >
> > Just trying to get this a little more organized...
> >

> I would say it is like Wells Gardner, Sega, and Atari trying to design
> the exact same
> circuit. Most everyone has their own way of looking at a problem and
> coming up with
> different ways of solving it.

So is it that the game boards themselves all output different ranges of
signals, and that's why monitors can't be switched around from game to game
because they are designed for a certain range of signals? If this is the case,
don't we just need to make it so all the games output relatively the same range
of signals, and then design a vector monitor for this range?

> I would also very much like to see a new
> deflection
> board and HV board that would be compatible with all of these monitors.
> Parts are
> getting scarce for some of these units, and if you do not have an
> extiguisher by your
> GO8, there could be some trouble.

I'm assuming that whatever we design would have to be completely new, but could
use old parts from more common sources (like reuse a tube or a fly back, maybe
even a yoke).

> I am not an electronic engineer, so
> all I can do is
> offer some of working knowledge to getting this underway. As Al pointed
> out, certain
> aspects to the design have to be addressed first. I am glad he is
> finding some time to
> do research on the current monitor boards used in these games. Finding
> the usable
> parimeters and designing to those specs.

Yes, Al is doing a great job and a great deal of research for this project.
 It's just that I've seen so many "Thanks for pointing that out" and "I forgot
about that" stuff that if we document it, we will remember why we're going in
the direction we are, and why we can't go in some directions.

(Of course, at some point, someone will have to hack a prototype
together...that's when all "theory" goes out the door and the reality of what
our design really does will be determined ;-))

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL