Re: yoke resonant frequency

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 13:44:33 EDT

On Sep 3, 10:32am, Al Kossow wrote:
> Subject: Re: yoke resonant frequency
> "Offhand, I'd think if we wanted to build a common XY monitor, wouldn't we
want
> to use parts from a more common monitor? Like somehow figure out how to make
> vector monitor using most of the parts from a G07? Or maybe just the tube,
> yoke and flyback? Maybe just the tube and flyback?"
>
> You can't really use any of the magnetics from a raster monitor for a color
> vector display. If you think about it, the two deflection coils are running
> at 15khz and 60hz, so the H and V windings have very different inductances
>
> Flybacks for raster monitors are designed to operate off of rectified 110,
> so they are driven with higher voltages than the stand-alone vector designs

True, but who says we have to go with those designs?

> We've been talking for a while about what to do about the damn monitors
burning up,
> so what i'm trying to do is 1) figure out WHY they burn up and 2) fix the
design,
> especially for the G08 which has two custom parts on it and a bunch of out of
production
> parts (MPS u series and main deflection transistors). There seems to be a lot
of
> similarity between the basic deflection amplifier designs, so I think it is
possible
> to have a basic design that would work in either chassis.

So you're going to try and design a "fix-it" for each type of monitor?

> Unless there are a lot of people without monitors at all, I don't think there
is a
> need for a completely new monitor. My guess at the total demand for this
stuff is
> maybe a couple of hundred.. The unit costs on custom flybacks and deflection
coils
> is going to be really high in those volumes. One thing that might be nice is
trying
> to start watching for deflection coils and convergence rings on CRTs getting
tossed
> out.. those are the parts that would be useful save (and they don't take up
the
> storage volume that a crispy fried Tempest CRT does..

It sounds like Al's goals are different than mine...I was hoping for more of a
global solution for everyone; a generic monitor from common parts that could
replace any vector monitor and was more reliable.

As far as market goes, I don't care about the market, as I'm not trying to make
money from it. If we could make one, document how it was made, and have it
somewhat affordable, at least everyone would have the OPTION of having a vector
monitor, instead of resorting to scavenging warehouses (although that's fun,
too ;-))

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL