WG failures

From: Al Kossow <aek>
Date: Wed Sep 03 1997 - 15:03:08 EDT

clay said:
"In my experience, the VAST amount of problems have been with the power
supply section of the deflection boards. I've actually experienced very
few failures related to the deflection stages themselves."

This makes sense. According to my analog designer friend at work, the
WG deflection amp looked to be a much more stable design than the G08
but he had questions about the current requirements of the pass transistors
in the regulator (since it has to supply current for both deflection amps)

Zonn had tried bypassing the regulator completely on an WG, with some
problems with vector stablity. One thing that was suggested is putting
a pecision voltage reference at the base of the current source (Q602/702)
to improve its stability if you were going to run it from an unregulated
supply. Or, put 7824's and 7924 regulators in in place of the 3.3 ohm
resistors and drive just the deflection transistors unregulated.