Re: Sega xy help

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu Oct 02 1997 - 16:42:34 EDT

On Oct 2, 2:46pm, Todd Miller wrote:
> Subject: Re: Sega xy help
>
> [ text/plain
> Encoded with "quoted-printable" ] :
An update on my Space Fury, I found some more 2114's so I replaced
> all of them on the xy board & shuffled them around on the CPU board.
> Now it boots up fine, attract mode looks normal. After playing a
> few games on the scope, the only vector problem I have seen so far
> is that the 'ship' will get trashed, all other vectors are OK. When
> you get hit or go to the next level, the ship will look OK for a while,
> then get garbled up. It will also go all the way through the self test
> now, only that some speech & sounds are missing or garbage.
>
> Confident that the
> boards are now more stable,

Doesn't sound like it ;-). Garbled speech is usually signs of bad EPROMs on
the speech board (check the sockets, etc), and the sound board for Space Fury
is notorious for dropping sounds over time.

> I hooked up the monitor so I could read
> what the self test was reporting. The monitor powered OK, I played a
> few
> quick games, intermittently the top half of the screen would go flat,
> so I quickly went to the self test, the first screen said that the
> video ram & multiplier were good, but down in the lower right corner
> there was a 'B', what does that stand for ?

Software revision B.

> When I got to the system
> input screen, tells what dip SW settings are, the text was jumping
> around, some letters would displace up or down a line.

This is common even with totally working systems. It's ok.

> By this time
> the top half of the screen was collapsing more often, so I powered it
> down, pulled out the deflection board.

So it sounds like one of your deflection transistors is giving out.

> After inspecting the board &
> the 2 daughter boards that go to the heatsink/transistor assembly, I saw
> a few cold solder joints. I wicked/reflowed all the Molex connectors,
> cleaned transistor sockets & reassembled. Still no top half of the
> screen :( I am going to order a Zanen kit, but wasn’t there a
> discussion
> about him using underrated parts ? Knowing that the monitor is almost
> %100, I want to do what ever it takes to make it as reliable as
> possible.

Zanen has a cap kit for the G08?? They didn't have one last time I ordered.
 You're not confusing the G05-802 are you?

> Is there a FAQ like G Woodcock’s WG, but for the Sega monitors ?
> Any suggestions would help, I don’t want to do any damage to this
> monitor.

Not really. David Shuman one of the experts on this monitor. Also, I have a
few notes about it in my Sega XY FAQ that you could look at, which also talks
about replacements for the deflection transistors.

BTW, How's those Sega XY Multigames going out there??? I've heard of two
different people that have implemented it two different ways already.

Also, could one of you techy people out there figure out how to bypass the
coining timing circuit? It's a pain to try and credit by hand because of the
coin input timing.

Sega XY FAQ author /_/|_| /_/ /____/_/|_|
________________ The One and Only 4-player vector game