19VLTP22 tubes

From: Joel Rosenzweig <joel-r_at_an.hp.com>
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 11:02:48 EDT

Hello fellow vectorheads,

My amplifone tube says that it's a 19VLTP22 / M48AAWOOX. Based on Gregg
Woodcock's findings, this tube is compatible with the 19VLUP22 used in
the Wells Gardner vector monitors.

According to my Amplifone schematics, a 19VJTP22 tube is used. (note
the "J" instead of the "L") Some DejaNews searching revealed that this
tube also has the same pinout as the VLT and the VLU tubes.

My question is, which tube has the higher resolution, the VLT or the
VJT?

I just ordered a brand new 19VLT22 from Richardson Electronics. They
claim that their manufacturer says "this is THE last one they will be
able to make." Apparently, their manufacturer is no longer producing
this particular glass shape and there are no more available.

At any rate, I haven't investigated the availability of the VJT's, but
I'd like to know if it's even worth pursuing. I was looking to retrofit
every vector monitor I owned with one of these Amplifone tubes, that's
about 8 more monitors.

I hooked up the Amplifone to my Tempest last weekend, and it worked
beautifully. I cobbled this monitor together from a mass of 4 HV and 4
deflection units in unknown but dubious condition. I got lucky. The
first HV unit I tried started smoking .. but the second one worked!
(They are all original red ones ... ) At any rate, I now know that I
have 3 fully working deflection boards, and 1 working HV unit. A
Wintron unit is on it's way, so that will make HV unit number 2 happy.
I didn't even test HV 3 and 4 because one was missing Q4, and the other
was missing the anode clip. I figured there must be "something" wrong
with them, so until I have a few moments to work on them, I didn't even
bother fixing the obvious and just trying them.

Anyway, the picture was just so amazing .. I highly recommend
retrofitting this tube into your Wells Gardners. I realize that Tempest
looking "better" is a subjective term, but I really do think you should
try it once!

If you have any information on the dot pitch of the VJT vs the VLT,
please let me know!

Thanks,
Joel-