Re: Star Castle problems ...

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 03 1997 - 16:14:23 EDT

> Star Castle game. One question - the background noise is just
> static - and I'm not talking about good static. The explosions
> sound great, but this constant noise...
>
> It's been a while since I played the game and was wondering what
> the background sounds (music? - just kidding) are suupose to
> be, and how to diagnose and fix the sound board.

The background sound is supposed to be a "droning" sound. A tone that
rises and falls in pitch all the while. The pitch change increases
in speed as the game proceeds. This should not sound anything like
"static". It could get really anoying though if it's stuck at a
particular pitch.

For the curious, the droning circuit is a 3-bit D/A converter feeding
an RC circuit (aprox 10 sec settling time) which feeds a VCO to
generate the tone. But the details escape me :-) I'll try to check the
manual over the weekend & see what might be broken.

BTW, what ever happened to the sound generating/digitizing effort?
I had to synthesize some cheap Star Castle sounds myself.

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.