Re: programmable logic

From: Kurt Mahan <kmahan_at_novell.com>
Date: Sun Oct 05 1997 - 21:44:18 EDT

> That's pretty cool. You know, the TI 34010 graphics processor had some
> hardware instructions that made Bresenham's a snap. It was damn fast too--
> plus dual-port DRAM control... Too bad it's obsoleted. :-(

Well, sort of.. Last time I checked you can still buy the chip, you just
can't get any tech support, etc.. (and they aren't fixing any of the
bugs).. Last time I checked Wms was still using it.. (yes, I wrote a lot
of 34010 asm.. :) The chip wasn't THAT fast though. The only place that
the chip's graphics instructions were used (as I remember) was in the
diagnostics.. But it sure had a lot of other cool features.. Check out
the interrupts as they're tied to the screen subsystem..

Kurt

/*
 * This version of Kurt Mahan is currently being evaluated. Words he speaks
 * are those of him only and not those of Novell or anybody else.
 *
 * Novell Java Technologies R&D Group
 *
 * Kurt Mahan