re:TECH: Amplifone Q's

From: Gregg Woodcock <woodcock_at_nortel.ca>
Date: Mon Oct 06 1997 - 12:00:00 EDT

In message "TECH: Amplifone Q's", you write:
> The wierd part of it all is that the tube NEVER sparks,
>crackles, etc when I discharge it to disconnect the HV connection.
>It never sparks when I discharge it to re-connect the HV connection.
>In every monitor I've worked on, I've always been able to get some
>kind of spark/snap/whatever when I went to discharge it (even when it
>had just been sitting there, with the HV connection disconnected for
>a while....There also NO glow from the back of the neck (I even looked for
>thse sparks and glow at night.) Does this sound like a bad tube? There
>is no high-pitched whine from the HV transformer but there isn't from the
>WG HV transformers either, so I don't know if that is normal or not.

Well the HV is totally unrelated to the heater as far as charges go.
If you aren't getting heater then I believe there is a separate
fuse just for taht 6.3VAC which you should be able to check. Fix that
first since it should be simple.

As far as the HV, there is definitely a problem. Again, check the fuses
but it probably isn't there. Next check the wires connected to the
focus and brightness adjustments (under those rubber things); these are
almost always marginal and with all the wiggling putting in that new
transformer one of them probably broke. Other than that, you'll have
to check over the whole HV section.

>BTW: Has anybody tried using the NTE cross for the SK part that is
>listed on Jess's page as a replacement for the HV diode in the GO-5?
>I don't think there is a place in town that sells SK parts, and I'd
>rather not mail order (I want my diode now, NOW!)

I have had 2 on order for 3 weeks but they haven't come in yet. I
have no doubt that the NTE part will be just fine; why wouldn't it?

--
THANX...Gregg   day 972.684.7380  night UNLIST/PUBL   TEXAS NOT CANADA!
              woodcock@nortel.com  or  woodcock@dfwmm.net