Re: Emulator: Star Castle (Available)

From: Paul Kahler <phkahler_at_Oakland.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 10 1997 - 13:35:14 EDT

> >BTW2 I'm planning to write a portable "C" version of the CPU for
> >integration into....stuff. Sorry Clay, ours won't run on 486-33.
>
> How much CPU do you need? What percentage time is spent in screnn drawing
> code? (It's likely any... 'er... "stuff" would have some sort of
> low-cpu-use vector drawing card in it...)
>
> 486-66's are pretty cheap too. ;-)

Ya, I upgraded my 33 to a 66 for $28 about a year ago. The old DOS version
ran good (never checked if it was full speed for sure) on that machine.
That was with the ASM CPU core. I talked to Zonn a little about flag
handling & I've got a couple other things to try, so we shall see. The
C-CPU needs to run near 1.8 MIPS & last time I checked a 486-33 it was
running at 17MIPS (that was writing to slow VGA ram though). As for
vector drawing, it didn't used to be a big percent of execution time, but
with more optimizations, it will be a bigger chunk :-) BTW, the windows
version actually uses GDI to draw & erase vectors right before your eyes!
No double buffering & a stable display :-) well almost...

--
|_|  |_||_| \___/ |____)      for things another man can just ignore. " -S.H.