Red Baron ROMs

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_nortel.ca>
Date: Mon Oct 13 1997 - 12:33:00 EDT

While repairing a Red Baron this weekend I added some notes to my
service manual and thought I'd share them, as they may save you
some time in the future. This note will come in handy because the
information does not appear to be documented on any of the Atari info
home pages.

Apparently the original Red Baron boards used the Battle Zone AVG
board. However, this board supported only six (6) sockets for program
ROM. Since RB uses more ROM than the board could hold, they installed
a larger (4k) ROM in one of the sockets. This mod is documented on the
Atari info pages.

The board I worked on this weekend had the same p/n as the BZ AVG,
however it contained SEVEN ROM sockets. The extra socket (P1) let
them use 2k roms in all locations and got rid of the barnacle.

The following table shows the delta between the two boards, including
the new rom p/n's and checksums:

         RB chksum BZ
       ----- ------ -----
E1 = 37001 0x65BF 37000
H1 = 37000 37587
J1 = 36999 0x24D9 36998
K1 = 36998 36997
L/M1 = 36997 36996
N1 = 36996 36995
P1 = 36995 Not Equipped

NOTE: Vector ROM numbers and locations remain unchanged.

Cheers,
Mark