Re: Sega Multigame (and cheats)

From: Clay Cowgill <clay_at_supra.com>
Date: Thu Oct 23 1997 - 14:53:13 EDT

>"P.S. Al-- that spinner control bug is the weirdest thing I've seen in a
>long time. It SHOULD WORK exactly as is. I tried everthing I could think
>of-- reversing bit order, shifting the count, changing direction bits.
>Weird. Hmmmm. One thing I didn't try-- complement the data word. Better
>give that a shot... ;-)"
>
>I should take a look at the MAME sources to see if they did any hacking
>on it. I had some trouble getting it to work at all..

Ahh, not a bad idea. Last I tried it it behaved just like segaEmu...

The one behavior that I'm at a loss to explain was the only time I saw the
ship turn "smoothly". (Instead of the current 1/8 circle turns.) I wasn't
masking off some bits while doing a shift and I got a sequence from the
"spinner" of something like:

00000001
00000011
00000111
00001111
00011111
00111111
01111111
11111111
11111111
11111111
11111110
11111100
11111000
11110000
11100000
11000000
10000000
00000000

This (or something similar) made the enterprise rotate smoothly about 12
degrees. Weird. No way an 'LS393 should ever do anything like that.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/