Re: Audio Reg on Tempest or Gravitar

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_mayo.edu>
Date: Wed Nov 05 1997 - 10:03:21 EST

You wrote:
> While I have everyone's attention focussed on the Atari BW, I thought I
> should poll people about what games they've put into their Atari BW
> cabinets. Please include what cabinet you started with, what you added
> and how you did it (ie. plug and play while swapping control panels,
> menuing system and banked EPROMs, etc.).

I started with an Asteroids cabinet. I made a coversion harness to play BZ in
the same cabinet. basically, I use the rotation buttons for the left BZ
control stick, the fire and thrust buttons for the right, and hyperspace to
shoot. After ~4 games, you'er fine. I had to build a little regulator board
to sub in the extra voltages the BZ expects for the AR II (this was before I
had gobs of spare AR boards)

Next came Asteroids Deluxe, which was cake (sound was only problem)

Next came Lunar Lander. Very similar pinouts to Asteorids. I use Asteroids
CP for the buttons, and have a parallel harness coming from the adapter to a
hacked PC joystick with suction cups on the bottom. Only trick is to put some
resistors in series with the joystick, since LL expects a limited range on the
pot voltages (1.5-4V? it's on the schematic) I'm still for a RTC BTW ;-)

Next came Red Baron. I just modded my BZ adapter to interface to my hacked PC
joystick. RB has same limited voltage range as LL.

Bottom line, I play all my BW vector games in my Asteroids cabinet, with a
hacked PC joystick as the only control extra.

I'm about to revamp these things to interface to the modular control panel
scheme I'm using for my JAMMA cabinet (which is why I want a Real Thrust
Controller ;-)

Ray