Re: Andromeda programmer

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Wed Nov 26 1997 - 14:24:49 EST

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 12:28:22 -0700 (MST), "Kurt Mahan"
<kmahan@novell.com> wrote:

>> "I think my Andromeda one will do everything (sometimes you have to build the
>> right adapter, but they are pretty easy). As I recall they even sell an
>> adapter to burn 1702s.."
>>
>> cool. just did an altavista search, here is a scan of their add
>>
>> http://cinecam.com/andromed.htm
>>
>> they have TMS2716 and 1702 adapters.. i'll probably be ordering one
>> today (They're $289..)
>>
>> i'll let everyone know how much the adapters are.
>
>I have to agree with Zonn that the software is CRAP. The guy that I ordered
>it from raved about his new version (which he sent me).. It wasn't as bad
>as the old software, but it still sucked. He talked about it being better
>than the Needham software. Well, maybe I'm biased because I've been using
>the Needham software for so many years, but I have to disagree.

Yeah! I got the same line when I was buying the thing, about how much
better there software was the Needham's! It has nothing to do with how
long you used Needham's, Andromeda software sucks! It was obviously not
written by someone who writes software for a living.

(Should I be asking you for the newest version? I can't remember the
version of the software I have.)

>Most of the adapters are pretty cheap. Seems like the 1702 adapter was
>horrendously expensive (but with all those voltages.. yuck).. The bipolar
>prom adapter wasn't too bad but you have to build all of these jumper
>blocks for the various proms..

I also bought the bipolar adapter. It's basically a stand alone bipolar
programmer that is controlled through the address/data lines of the
programmer (don't attempt to build one of these, just buy the thing!)
It works, and for as often as one really needs to burn these old parts,
it works fine. The jumpers are a pain, but I found some headers at a
surplus shop that allowed me to place them all on one header. Not too
bad.

>If you want to build your own adapter those are pretty easy too.
>
>It sure is nice getting complete schematics for the unit AND all the adapter
>modules (even the ones you didn't buy)..

That's what actually sold me on the thing.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures