Re: Italian Cinematronics Game Boards

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Mon Dec 01 1997 - 19:08:27 EST

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 15:43:12 -0800 (PST), aek@goonsquad.spies.com (Al
Kossow) wrote:

>"I can't imagine reverse engineering the whole
>CPU board just to change a title."
>
>The CPU boards are copies of the Cine board, they redid
>the sound/vector generator board. Looking at the drawings,
>the CPU schematics are copies of the Cine schematics,
>while the sound board follow euro schematic drawing
>conventions.
>
>I'll try to get these scanned in tonight..

What I meant, is that I couldn't imagine a company going through all the
trouble of reverse engineering the full instruction set just so they
could hack in a new title over the old one. More likely somebody
associated with Cinematronics (or Vectorbeam) made the change, was it
done legally? -- who knows.

The original Japanese clone used some and/or/xor logic to blank the
Cinematronics copyright notice. Cutting a trace to disable this
"blanking" circuit, caused the Cinematronics copyright to "re-appear" on
the Japanese boards. This is what they did in court to win the lawsuit.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures