Sega sound boards...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Dec 03 1997 - 15:11:32 EST

Hi everyone.

Just a little probe for info here...

I was thinking... Would anyone be interested in a sound board that was
sort-of a mid-way compromise for Sega G-80 sound? I'll explain:

The Universal Sound Board is pretty cool 'cause it sounds neat and works
with Star Trek *and* Tac/Scan. That leaves Eliminator/Zektor with similar
sound boards, and Space Fury the odd man out.

So, I was thinking of maybe making a *simple* little sound board that maybe
just has little microcontroller and an 8910 or two. Maybe a couple noise
generators for engine sounds...

Basically the idea is to make something that will produce sounds for
elim/zektor/spacefury that will be "close" to the original sounds. Close
enough that you can play the games and not feel like there's anything
missing, but they obviously wouldn't be dead-on for any of the purists out
there. ;-)

Sound worthwhile to anyone?

The other thought is to learn how to program the Universal Sound Board and
make *that* make sounds for SF/ZK/EL. I like that 'cause it's nice and
clean, but am a little intimidated to mess with it unless I have to.

Comments?

Here's another question. Anyone know how big the samples are for all the
speech in Star Trek/Zektor/Space Fury (for something like MAME)? (I'm
assuming 8bit 11khz audio.)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com