Re: tempest help

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 11:19:54 EST

Ray Ghanbari wrote:

> You wrote:
> > Bad POKEY?
>
> I'll echo this. I've had several Tempests (Tempi?) that reported no problems
> in self test but worked great when the pokey was replaced.
>
> Ray

Atari has an interesting way of testing whether a pokey is bad and
truthfully it is pretty meaningless. The method they use is to read
data from the RANDOM number generator on the POKEY, then they wait a few
cycles and read another RANDOM number from it. If the numbers are the
same, then the POKEY is tagged as being bad. Doesn't tell much about
the Switch inputs, serial communication or the A/D converters working,
much less the sound.
  So, yes. You are correct about POKEY's being easily shown as good in
the self test but actually not working correctly.

--
Jess M. Askey            ************* My Page ***************
ESLB/The Audio Analyst   *    http://magenta.com/havoc       *