Monitor CRT naming/specs?

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 13:14:52 EST

>Yes, you can do this. This is the WG tube, which has the same pinout as
>the 19VLTP22 found in the Amplifone.

Do any of you know the real story behind CRT "naming"? I seem to recall
reading something about it in a "repairing computer monitors" book or some
such...

When you look at the two we most recently discussed:

19VLUP22
19VLTP22

Clearly there's not a big difference part-number wise! I think it's safe
to say that the first number (19) is the diagonal measure of the screen.
I'm pretty sure that "P22" is the phosphor-type. Anyone know what the VLx
might be?

On a similar note-- anyone know how you find out ratings like screen
voltage, focus voltage, heater voltage, color gun drive parameters? I
imagine that there's some big cross-reference book for CRT's but I've never
seen or heard a name of one. Even stuff like pin-outs for particular
tubes-- you'd think that those Sencore "CRT rejuvinators" would have to
have something like that.

(I'm still thinking it would be neat to try to hand-wind a yoke for a big
(31"?) CRT and try to make a huge Vector monitor, but I need to know how to
driver the color guns and stuff like that... ;-)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/