Re: Monitor CRT naming/specs?

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Wed Dec 10 1997 - 13:42:37 EST

>well, I'd like to see a yoke for a .31 or better dot pitch 13 or 15 inch
>monitor. they're gotta be someone that will custom wind a deflection yoke..

Hey, that's a good idea. I have a couple of really nice Sony
fixed-frequency 16" monitors that would be interesting to try. (Be curious
to see how the invar shadow mask looks with vertical lines... ;-)

I've almost convinced myself that I can hand-wind a yoke without too much
pain and/or suffering. I won't expect "perfection" on the first try, but
if I get it to work *at-all* I'd be pretty jazzed. The wire used in
WG/Amplifone yokes looks plenty big enough to count turns and determine the
basic pattern... Some quick tests on an inductor tester should reveal if
it's close enough to try...

I bought a WG tube with yoke from Video Connection for $50 to take-apart
and experiment with, so I'll report any good findings. I also have that
bizarro 13" vector monitor that's driven off the STK0050 audio-amps to look
at. (It used very-fine voice-coil type wire from what I remember
though...)

>driving the guns isn't a big deal once you decide on the tube type, and
>the required screen and focus voltages.

OK, provided you have a clue about what they should be. ;-) I'm working
 from the scenario of buying a nice, new, flat-screen, dark-phosphor
("Super-black" type) tube and hacking it into existing HV and deflection
systems...

>I used to know the CRT stuff back in the 70s when I worked at a TV
>repair shop. The general form is <size> <pinout/gun config> <phosphor>

Hey, that's a good idea. One of our engineers used to be a TV repair-guy.
Time to go interrogate him! :-)

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com