Re: Atari Cat boxes

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Thu Jan 01 1998 - 16:12:13 EST

David Shoemaker wrote:

> >I will scan the schematic in today and toss it up on my web page. If there
> >is interest I will also send it to the list. It really doesn't look all
> >that complex.
>
> Ok after spending way too long on my scaner today, and not being done.
> Anyone have a good idea on the best way to turn these 3+ Meg bmp's into
> something more reasonable?
>
> I am scanning lineart at 600dpi and getting rather huge files.
>
> I will finish up the scanning tomorow but I am going to end up with 50+ meg
> worth of stuff unless I find a beter way to store it.
>
> And at 28.8 that will take the better part of forever to post to spies (no
> way that will fit on my web site).
>
> David

I scan schems in at 150-200 dpi in greyscale. If you have a nice image
editor you can adjust the gamma and get them looking pretty nice. Also
since they aren't b/w you get better edges on the lines. I haveen't had
good luck with lineart scans unless they are extremely high res.
        I ususally save in .jpg format but Im not sure how that works for
everyone. .jpg's compress down nicely while maintaining 24 bit color
resoulution. .gif's dont compress as much but since they are only 256
color (which is still fine for schems) they are inherently smaller
datawise, but a good .jpg can be smaller still.
  jess

--
Jess M. Askey            *** Coming Soon - The Game Archive ***
Game Spot/Audio Analyst  *  Pinball, Video, Parts, Collecting *