Audio Reg II board smoking?

From: Ozdemir, Steve <sso_at_dsc.com>
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 15:58:10 EST

G'day folks (and Ray),

As I converted my Asteroids caberet to play Asteroids Deluxe last night,
I swapped the Audio Reg 1 board for an Audio Reg II from a Tempest.
That went OK. I heard Asteroids Deluxe's sounds perfectly and happily
played it.

However, when I swapped back in the Asteroids board, R30, on the Audio
Reg II started smoking! (Retesting with the Asteroids Deluxe board and
the smoked Audio Reg II showed that there was no damage.)
Unfortunately, I didn't have any schematics to Asteroids Deluxe or
Tempest available at the time. Any guesses why I'd see this behavior?

By the way before I ever put the Audio Reg II board into the cabinet, I
did try the Asteroids Deluxe with the Audio Reg 1, and the sound was
funny as expected. Also after the resistor smoked and just before I
quit, I did retest the Asteroids board to make sure it was OK. It
survived.

                Steven S Ozdemir
                sso@dsc.com

ps - Something else might be wrong, since R6 (or R1) on the Audio Reg 1
board is also smoked. Both Asteroids and Asteroids Deluxe's audio and
video work?