CPLD projects...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 14:08:08 EST

Just a little status update.

I'm still looking at how to make some new (replacement) Atari AVG ASICs for
use on Star Wars, Space Duel, etc.

I think I'll actually go ahead and have two prototype's built out of a TTL
version of the AVG ASIC. Once I'm sure that design works I'll start
eliminating chips by replacing their functions with a CPLD. Once
everything is working I'll be able to choose which is a better route.

So-- anyone have any input? In particular:

------

Would you prefer a one or two chip solution over a 13 chip solution, even
if it was a few dollars more?

Are you willing to pay about $30 for a replacement AVG ASIC? If not,
what's your limit?

------

The total cost to build either solution (2-chip vs. 13-chip) looks to be
within a couple dollars of each other. In theory the 2-chip CPLD version
should be more robust, but the TTL version would be user-repairable... I
dunno....

Oh, also-- I *think* I built a one-chip replacement for the Pac Man VRAM
Addresser board (284) yesterday. Still needs testing. Should be able to
sell those for $10-13 each.

-Clay

Hmmmmm... I'm outta here. Freezing rain an general crappiness outside. ;-)

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com
\/ Communications Division http://www.supra.com/