Re: WG 19k6401

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 14:16:47 EST

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 09:59:49 -0800, Clay Cowgill <clayc@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>>Anders has a photocopy of the manual for this monitor.
>>It's NOT plug in compatible with the 6101. The connector is different and it
>>runs on higher voltages.
>>The HV unit only gets + (no -)
>>There are also brightness controls, etc. on the deflection board.
>>
>>If you guys want, I'll get this thing scanned in and posted.
>
>I'd *really* like to see that.
>
>*IF* it's mostly similar to a standard WG color XY (close enough to
>"hack"), AND has G08 slew rates, it would be VERY cool to have for an
>Atari/Sega multigame cabinet...

I also have a copy of the schematics to this monitor. The biggest change was
the doubling up of the output transistor. Each channel now has four power
transistors instead of two.

They also increased the +/- voltages to that of those of Sega, which would lead
to a faster slew rate. Other than those changes it is very similar to the old
WG monitor. The high voltage section is slightly modified to run off of one
rail of the +/- 50v, as opposed to across both rails of the +/- 25v supply.

Basically you'd have to go through and change all the (affected) capacitors to
higher voltage ratings, and double up the output transistors to account for the
extra power dissipation (which is a *much* better way of doing it than adding a
big fan - a la Sega)

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically