RE: Moto 68HC11 EVB now $49

From: Frank Palazzolo <palazzol_at_tir.com>
Date: Mon Jan 12 1998 - 18:30:59 EST

I just want to vouch for the usefulness of one of
these EVB's. I've got one and I'm thinking of buying
another now. If anyone needs technical specs I can look
into them here.

When I get the time, I plan to prototype something that
I hope to eventually control with a PIC, but I'm using
the I/O on the HC11 until I'm sure the hardware is working.

Actually, it's loosely related to the CAT box discussion
and the Vectrex, so I might as well describe it:

It will be a programmable hardware emulator, able to
A) communicate with a host computer via serial or audio interface
B) map RAM into arbitrary regions of a 64K address space.
C) drive the bus when necessary to read and write memory.
D) Work on multiple busses. (Well, mainly the normal ones
and the GI bus used in the Intellivision)

The initial design will be geared toward emulating and reading
cartridges from old home console units - Atari, Intellivision,
Vectrex, Coleco, etc. It could be used to map memory into
any system or act a little like a processor, I suppose.

My EVB has been used as:
An EPROM reader,
An EPROM programmer,
and to some extent a logic analyzer (sort of).
Oh yes, and as an instrumentation controller for an
SAE formula car :)

Thanks,
Frank Palazzolo

palazzol@tir.com