laser projector...

From: Clay Cowgill <clayc_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 14:08:00 EST

Just an "oh-by-the-way"...

I was organizing some Circuit Cellar Ink magazines the other day and
noticed a write-up on a home-brew laser projector system. (the 12-bit DAC
outputs caught my eye...) Anyway, it's nothing shockingly new-- just a
couple of galvo's driven as XY deflection from a PC-- but has the usual
good-quality Circuit Cellar technical backgrounder with it.

(Including some interesting filter and spectral content stuff...
Specifically they suggested using an FFT to analyze vector drawings to be
displayed and have the PC rework the input vectors slightly to reduce
bandwidth requirements of the output. That's a big deal for the galvos,
but it probably wouldn't hurt a vector monitor either...)

Anyway, the design as presented was good for about 30k vectors per second--
I don't know what they used as a definition for a "vector" though. Even if
it's "full deflection" that still only about 500 vectors at 60hz refresh...
I dunno.

-Clay

Clayton N. Cowgill Engineering Manager
/\ Diamond Multimedia Systems, Inc. clay@supra.com