Re: Battlezone problem.

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 18:19:25 EST

On Jan 13, 6:01pm, Mitchell Rohde wrote:
> Subject: Battlezone problem.
>
> Help!

[ snip bad news about Battlezone freaking out ]

Welcome to the wonderful world of Battlezone :-)

This is usually fixed by the suggestions you mentioned before. The AUX board
(or Mathbox board) is usually the culprit, although I've seen the EPROMs on the
main board give up their ghost before, too. Reseating chip, resolding the
header pins on the interconnect cable, cleaning the edge connectors, etc...ps.
 Make sure when reseating chips that you haven't folded any pins by accident;
I've done this many times.

> How does this watchdog circuit work, and has anyone seen this before?
> What trips the watchdog?

I'm sure the techies of this group can give a more detailed description, but it
usually is just a circuit which checks that the program isn't running out of
control or outside of the bounds of the program space. It's not so bad on
other Atari Vector B&W boards (like Asteroids), but the Aux board throws a
whole new wrench in the works.

I think there is some Battlezone debugging information somewhere on the web
(didn't someone post something to this vectorlist recently?).

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL