Re: Battlezone problem.

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_magenta.com>
Date: Tue Jan 13 1998 - 18:49:12 EST

Mitchell Rohde wrote:

> Help!
>
> My battlezone was working fine, until one day I turned it on and the
> vectors were being drawn in wacky places. It seemed to lack Y deflection
> (most of it, anyway,) and there was lots of jitter...
> someone suggested that I reseat the chips, clean the sockets, etc... and
> this didn't fix it.
>
> Now I get zilch from the unit. I didn't see squat on the data lines, and
> I heard a "blip-blip-blip-blip..." from the speaker... the sound of a
> reset. So I probed the reset circuit output, sure enough.. it's
> going up and down about two or three times a second. If I press the reset
> switch on the generator board it pins the thing in reset, but when I
> release it goes back to the resetting...
>
> How does this watchdog circuit work, and has anyone seen this before?
> What trips the watchdog?
>
> Mitch

I would most definitely consider your problem to be in the chips you
re-seated since the problem has now changed. If your board has the
factory programmed ROM's (instead of EPROM's) then your problem makes
even more sense since the pins on the ROM's corroded and become
extrememly intermittent. Pull them out one by one and clean them off
with some fine steel wool (don't do this over the board or you will
curse yourself when it takes you 3 hours to get all the wool bits out of
the PCB). Be very careful that you dont' break off the fragile pins
either. I would also do this to the IC's on the Aux PCB. Then resolder
all the connections of the molex interconnect harness. Hopefully that
should do it.
  I usually spray down the sockets with tuner cleaner so they are a bit
lubricated but Im not sure if this is a good idea or not... anyone
know??
  jess

--
Jess M. Askey            *** Coming Soon - The Game Archive ***
Game Spot/Audio Analyst  *  Pinball, Video, Parts, Collecting *