Re: Decent little cap tester...

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Jan 15 1998 - 07:41:19 EST

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, John Robertson wrote:

> Clay Cowgill wrote:
> >
> > the Sencore does it seems to be great for testing if a cap is out of spec
> > or identifying the value of something you're not quite sure about.
> >
> > Good little value for $50.

> Speaking of cap testors, I am carrying the Capacitor Wizard that will
> check 1 ufd and up caps in circuit for ESR, and uses a meter movement
> for quick readings. The meter gives a relative reading and if

Maybe I'm just lucky: I have a Heathkit DMM (that I'm 99% sure is really a
Fluke meter), that includes capacitor and transistor testing. The whole
meter kit was only about $80 when I built it about 7 - 8 years ago, and
Heathkit wasn't known for being that much cheaper than a prebuilt.

Talked my parrents into getting it for me back in college when I had to take
Circuits Lab I. I convinved them it would be cheaper than having to retake
the class, since a good number of the meters in the lab never worked, and
they had a nasty habit of handing you the wrong parts, especially caps.

-Chris

http://www.westnet.com/