Re: Bulletproof your G-08!!! (Pipe dreaming)

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Tue Jan 20 1998 - 14:44:14 EST

On Jan 20, 1:20pm, Mit Matelske wrote:
> Subject: Bulletproof your G-08!!! (Pipe dreaming)
>
> I was thinking how nice it would be to put together
> a definitive upgrade for these pieces of sh*t.

I second that motion, but I think in order to upgrade your monitor, it would
have to be in working condition first, and I think we've got more broken G08's
out there than working ones. So maybe we need to work on a repair kit/FAQ
before we start talking upgrades.

FYI, the Zanen kit has a few caps in it that that are *under* spec'd, so don't
install these things blindly. Also, the transistors they provide in the kit
aren't the right ones.

Through fixing mine last month, I did learn a few things:

1) Check for cracked/broken solder traces/joints and header pins (especially
any leading to the HV section)
2) Don't let the heat sinks for the transistors on the deflection board touch
(oops).
3) If your 20W resistors are melting, you've got bad deflection transistors :-(

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL