Re: 19K6400

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Jan 22 1998 - 20:53:23 EST

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:56:57 -0800, Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>> From what Atari has done, it looks like the 1.5 amp regulators work,
>> almost.
>>
>> The Amplifone monitors used this design, yet most have been retro
>> fitted with
>> 50ohm resistor across the in/out pins. From playing with these things
>> with a
>> scope it looks like things like the Star Wars star exploding need more
>> current
>> than the regulator can supply. When these kind of currents are needed
>> part of
>> the current is passed through the 50ohm resistor (I'm sure regulation
>> at this
>> point is gone).
>>
>Ahhhh. Interesting. I'll have to look at the Amplifone schematics.
>Can you parallel regulators like the 7824 (Assuming you have low value
>resistor to tie the Vout's together)? Could probably drive something
>big-n-cheap like a 2n3055 off the regulator for some more current...
>Hmmmm.

It's easy to add a buffer to one of these regulators, attached is a ZIP'd BMP of
a simple schematic. (invert everything for the negative supply. You'll also
need bypass caps etc.)

You can also use the arrangement Anders used.

The difference is that this arrangement includes the power transistor in the
feedback loop. R1 is optional and causes the transistor to turn off at currents
below 120ma. If not there regulation will be lost at very low currents.

Anders design will have a similar performance, with the actual output voltages
being .6 ~ .7 volts above the output of the voltage regulator.

-Z

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures